Hey, it’s fall, y’all! And there are so many fun, fall-themed things to do in and around Ames that you need to get started NOW!
Reiman Gardens’ annual Spirits in the Gardens (above) starts Friday, Oct. 13 and runs until Sunday, Oct. 22. Bring the kids in costume for spooky jack-o-lanterns, yummy Halloween candy, and fun family entertainment.
It wouldn’t be fall without visits to local apple orchards and pumpkin patches. Lucky for us, Ames has several fun destinations within easy driving distance:
- Black’s Heritage Farms pumpkin patch is located just two miles south of Jack Trice Stadium. Choose from pre-picked pumpkins, or ride on the hayrack to the pumpkin patch to pick your own. Bring the kids!
- Red Granite Farm , located west of Ames (2013 130th St., Boone) is a horticulturalist’s delight. The farm offers locally grown produce, farm-fresh eggs, perennials, and succulents, plus one of the most sophisticated selections of pumpkins and mums in central Iowa.
- Located south of Ames on 32835 610th Ave., Cambridge, family-friendly Center Grove Orchard is the Disney World of pumpkin patches. This place has it all: 25 acres of pumpkins and gourds, more than 6,000 apple trees, a farmyard filled with activities (including a corn maze and super slides), plus dining venues, a coffee shop, and Country Store retail shop. Don’t miss the cider donuts from the bakery!
Tricks and treats
- A Somerset trick-or-treat event is Oct. 27 from 4-5:30 p.m. Check out over 30 businesses in this north Ames neighborhood for treats, goodie bags, and games.
- North Grand Mall’s trunk-or-treat will be Oct. 27 from 4:30-6:30 p.m.Downtown Ames businesses will offer trick-or-treating on Oct. 27 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Greek Trick-or-Treat is hosted by ISU sororities and fraternities on Sunday, Oct. 30 from 1-3 p.m. in the Memorial Union Great Hall
- Trick-or-treat at Ames Public Library Oct. 31 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- City of Ames official trick-or-treating hours are Oct. 31 from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Halloween Spook-Tacular Trick-or-treating at Hickory Grove Park’s Breezy Bay Campground from Saturday, Oct. 28 from 7:30-9 p.m.
And that’s not all!
- Take a hike at McFarland Park (just north of Ames) or Ledges State Park (south and west of Ames). Both parks promise to have abundant fall color, hiking trails, water features, and picture-perfect spots for your fall picnic.
- Combine the fun of geocaching with the spirit of the season with Halloween Hides and Creepy Caches on Oct. 27 at McFarland Park.
- If you’re looking for inspo for your 2022 Halloween costume, look no further than Spirit Halloween, now open at North Grand Mall.
- To cap off your perfect fall day, order a pumpkin spice latte (or your espresso beverage of choice) at Café Diem, Café Milo, Burgies, Morning Bell, or other Ames coffee shop.