Downtown is the beating heart in the center of Ames. Discover downtown’s unique, independent shops and restaurants, farmers market, festivals and special events, live music, and so much more!
5 things to discover downtown
- The best shopping: Shop for books, clothing, shoes, chocolate, candles, home décor, and more.
- A bit of art, a bit of history: Visit Ames History Museum, Octagon Center for the Arts, arts festivals, and street art.
- Vintage & consignment: Downtown is a hub for resale shops and sustainable goods.
- Great food and drink: Don’t miss Ames favorites like Aunt Maude’s and Great Plains, plus new coffee shops, restaurants, and bars.
- Music: Music lovers head downtown year-round for live music at bars and restaurants; concerts at Ames City Auditorium; music festivals; and summer sounds at Bandshell Park.