Winter blues got you down? Your cure is here. Head to these local Ames eateries for a comfort meal to soothe your soul.
- What’s more comforting than chili? Stop at Cornbred for their take on the classic with their Brisket & Chill, featuring brisket chili, award-winning wood-fired brisket, and topped with their house-made jalapeno corn pudding. Delicious!
- If breakfast food is your comfort go-to, check out The Grove Café for their famous pancakes. They’re fluffy, sweet, and as big as the plate they’re served on. You’ll only need one. Trust us.
- Sometimes all you need is a burger. Head to Brick City Grill for the ‘Best Burger in Iowa’, an award given to the restaurant by the Iowa Cattleman’s Association and Iowa Beef Industry Council. Try yours Ames-style: the Brick City Double with a side of Cy Fries.
- Al dente noodles, savory sauce, melty cheese – pasta is one of the best comfort foods, and for good reason. Head to Ge-Angelo’s for your favorite Italian dish, like lasagna, fettuccine alfredo, ravioli, or classic spaghetti and meatballs. Chef’s kiss.
- Craving Chinese takeout to mend your winter blues? Try anything from 1+1 Restaurant & Tea’s menu for an elevated twist on familiar favorites.
- Sweet Caroline’s on Main Street has a wide variety of classic comfort foods: homestyle chicken pot pie, meatloaf topped with house-made barbecue sauce, and chicken and dumplin’ soup for the side. We’ll take three!
- Warm up with a serving of beef bourguignon from The Café – a beef stew with fresh veggies and garlic mashed potatoes, just like mom’s.
- The only combo better than chicken and waffles is you and Flip’N Jacks. Start your day off with one of Flip’N Jacks‘ comforting brunches, like classic chicken and waffles, hearty skillets, and ginormous omelets.
- A little mac can go a long way. Head to Macubana in Campustown for hearty and creative mac and cheese bowls, including pesto, garlic, and carbonara specialties. Don’t forget to start with deep-fried mac and cheese!
- Everyone deserves a sweet treat for putting up with cold, Iowa winters. Stop at Provisions Lot F on your way home for a wide variety of homestyle tarts, blueberry crisps, cheesecakes, eclairs, cakes, and cannolis.
By Marissa Smith, Marketing Communications Intern