Sorry, no openings available at this time.
ABOUT DISCOVER AMES
Team members at Discover Ames have a passion for Ames and Iowa State University. It’s our
responsibility to bring visitors to Ames and provide excellent service. We do this through a team
that takes initiative, a team that is innovative and a team that values working together to
provide the best experience for our visitors.
Discover Ames is seeking a dynamic Business Development Manager to provide development of
group sales initiatives, including new market development, client retention, and partnership
• Execute annual business development strategy and plan for the association and sports
• Lead generation for assigned markets representing new business
• Attend industry related tradeshows and site visits to develop relationships with current
or potential clients, and generate potential event opportunities
• Represent the Discover Ames at industry-related meetings, events, and local, state, and
• Creation of bid proposals to new and returning clients
• Collaborate with the Visitor Experience team on execution and coordination of acquired
events and conference
• Develop and build relationships with Ames area and Iowa State University (ISU) venues
and service providers
• Input and update data into the development database to monitor and track
development progress and activity
• In collaboration with the Director of Business Development and the Marketing &
Communications team, develop collateral materials specifically designed to increase the
awareness of Ames and ISU as a destination
• Work with Director of Business Development to produce and manage a yearly market
• Work in collaboration with Discover Ames staff on events and activities related to all
markets including specific roles for major events and support services responsibilities
• 2+ years’ experience in business development, sales or general sales
• Bachelor’s degree
• Basic computer skills in word processing, spreadsheets and databases are required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Exceptional communication skills with ability to execute effective sales presentations
• Committed to be a team player
• Highly self-motivated and ability to be self-directed
• Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
• Committed to relationship-building with strong interpersonal skills
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to set and manage priorities to handle multiple projects while moving them
• A flexible schedule will be required to accommodate event and meeting schedules that
will include some nights and weekends
• Work from the Ames office location
• Ability to lift up to 35 lbs
• Valid Iowa driver’s license
All application documents should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and
• Cover letter with salary requirements
• Three professional references including names and contact information
First consideration if applied by June 12, 2023
Questions should be directed to President/CEO, Kevin Bourke, email@example.com or
Our service is extraordinary, and our hospitality is genuine.
Our staff openly and visibly loves Ames and Iowa State University.
Our bold, new ideas make for creative, memorable events.
Our relationship-building connects clients, Iowa State, and the Ames community.
Our staff is empowered to go the extra mile to serve our customers.
Our collaborations allow us to create extraordinary events for our clients.